10 – 12 months
500 grams (16 ounces) of lean casserole beef (eg. blade or chuck), trimmed and cut into medium-sized cubes
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
200 grams (6½ ounces) of peeled, chopped pumpkin
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 x 400 gram (13 ounce) can of tomatoes
1 cup of low-salt or salt-free beef stock
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
A little pepper
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat, add the carrot and the onion then turn heat to low and fry gently until soft and lightly browned. Remove from the pan to a plate.
2. Return heat to medium/high and put in the beef chunks. Fry, turning the chunks until browned all over.
3. Put the beef, carrot and onions into a heavy-based stove-top pan, add all the other ingredients, and stir well.
4. Bring to the boil over medium heat then cover with a well-fitting lid.
5. Turn heat to low or medium/low and simmer for 1½ hours, until the beef is tender – checking occasionally and adding more stock or water if necessary.
6. Cool slightly then process in batches with a stick blender or in a food processor, until the consistency is right – or mash well with a fork.