10 – 12 months
Bread crusts (cut off when making sandwiches and stored in the freezer)
1 medium-sized egg
2 teaspoons of milk
2 teaspoons of butter
1. Beat the egg with the milk in a small bowl.
2. Cut crusts into ‘finger’ lengths and soak them in the egg mixture for a few minutes.
3. In a small frying pan, heat the butter slowly until it begins to sizzle.
4. Drain ‘fingers’ a little, put into the pan, and fry gently over low heat – turning until golden all over.
5. If necessary, cook in batches adding more butter if needed, then serve toasties warm or cold.