12 – 36 months
1 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter)
1 medium-sized boneless chicken breast, skin off and cut in small cubes
½ an onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 very small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground coriander
1 pinch of ground turmeric
2½ tablespoons of natural yogurt
1 teaspoon of tomato puree (concentrate)
finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve
1-2 cups of hot water
1. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, add the chopped chicken and stir/fry until very pale brown all over, then turn off the heat and set aside.
2. Place a medium-sized heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the ghee.
3. When the ghee is hot, add the onion and stir/fry for 3 minutes, then stir in the cinnamon, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes – stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook gently for a further 10 minutes – stirring as before – then add the ground coriander and turmeric and stir for a few more moments.
5. Raise the heat slightly and add yogurt little by little, stirring well each time until well combined, then stir in the tomato puree and 1½ cups of hot water.
6. Bring to the boil over medium heat, reduce heat to very low, and simmer for 20 minutes – stirring occasionally and adding more hot water to keep everything very moist.
7. Add the cooked chicken and continue as before for a further 20 minutes, then chop or puree as required and sprinkle with the fresh coriander and serve with some cooked rice.