12 – 36 months
30 grams (1 ounce) of freshly cooked white rice
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of grated Cheddar cheese
½ cup of freshly cooked broccoli, mashed
½ cup of freshly cooked carrot, mashed
1. Bring 1/2 cup of water (no salt) to the boil in a small saucepan, add a 1/4 cup of white rice and bring back to the boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, put on a lid, and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the rice is soft. Check frequently and add more water if necessary to avoid boiling dry.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F).
4. Beat the egg yolk in a medium-sized bowl and stir in the milk, then mix in the mashed broccoli and carrot with 30 grams (1 ounce) of the cooked rice.
5. Stir in half the cheese then divide the mixture between individual oven-proof dishes or ramekins and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the tops.
6. Cover the dishes with foil and put them into a large roasting tray then boil a kettle (jug) of water and pour it into the tray to come halfway up the sides of dishes.
7. Carefully place the tray into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
8. Cool well, before serving.