8 – 10 months
155 grams (5 ounces) of lean casserole beef (braising steak, skirt steak)
1 small onion
2 medium carrots
2 medium potatoes
1 small stick of celery
2 fresh basil leaves, washed and finely chopped
2 stalks of fresh flat-leaf parsley, washed and finely chopped
1 small pinch of dried rosemary
1. Cut the beef into medium-sized cubes.
2. On a separate board, peel the onion, carrots and potatoes then chop into chunks.
3. Cut off the tough bottom end and the top leafy end of the celery then chop into chunks.
4. Put everything into a medium-sized saucepan and add enough water to just cover.
5. Bring to the boil over high heat then reduce heat to very low, put on a well-fitting lid, and leave to simmer gently for about 1- 1½ hours, until the beef is very tender – checking occasionally after the first 30 minutes and adding water if necessary to make sure it does not boil dry.
6. Turn off the heat and drain excess liquid into a bowl.
7. Puree the casserole with a stick blender, or mash and chop, to the desired texture – using the reserved cooking liquid as needed.
Serve this up with a little cooked brown rice for some extra texture and sprinkle on top a little grated cheese for added flavour!