A baby under 12 months of age who has something obstructing his or her throat will suddenly be unable to cough, breathe, or cry.
If this happens to your baby, stay calm and follow this procedure:
- Hold baby – head low and facing down – along the inside of your arm, with your hand supporting baby’s weight.
- Use the heel of your other hand to strike baby between the shoulder blades.
- Turn baby quickly and check the mouth for any obvious objects that may have been dislodged.
- Repeat back blows up to 5 times – checking the mouth after each one.
- If baby is still choking, turn him over, place 2 fingers in the middle of the chest, and thrust inwards and upwards in the direction of baby’s head to force air up the ‘windpipe’.
- Quickly check the mouth for dislodged objects, as before.
- Repeat chest thrusts up to 5 times – checking the mouth after each one.
- Do up to 3 cycles of back blows and chest thrusts, and if baby’s throat is still obstructed, call the emergency number for an ambulance.
- Until help arrives continue trying to dislodge the obstruction – perform resuscitation (CPR) if it becomes necessary.
PLEASE NOTE: Any baby who has been given chest thrusts must be checked by a medical practitioner for any internal injury.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.