What exactly is buckwheat?
- Buckwheat is a seed – it is not actually ‘wheat’ or a grain of any kind, though it is often listed with grains.
- It is also often called Kasha – which is actually buckwheat that has been roasted.
- Buckwheat is available either roasted or unroasted, and as flour for use in pancakes, muffins,etc. (It may be labelled kasha flour, or buckwheat flour, depending on the brand)
Buckwheat and your baby’s health…
- Buckwheat would be an excellent addition to your baby’s diet, as it contains iron, niacin, folate, vitamin K, and is high in fibre.
- It is also gluten-free, so it is ideal if your baby suffers from Coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) or is allergic to wheat protein.
- As always – particularly if your baby has allergy or intolerance problems or if there is a family history of any of these – discuss the introduction of buckwheat into your baby’s diet with his or her doctor or paediatrician.
- With the agreement of your baby’s medical adviser, buckwheat or kasha may be introduced to baby from 8 months of age.
Buying and storing buckwheat…
- Buy whole buckwheat, or milled buckwheat from a good supplier, where you know the stock is always fresh and is stored hygienically.
- At home,whole or milled buckwheat may be stored for several months in a cool, dry place – but if temperatures in your area are usually quite warm, store buckwheat in your refrigerator.
- If you grind buckwheat yourself, keep it in an airtight container- preferably in your refrigerator.
Cook buckwheat cereal for your baby…
- Use 1/4 cup of ground buckwheat to 1 or 2 cups of water (experiment with amounts until you find the right consistency for your baby)
- Put the buckwheat and water into a small pan, stir well, and bring to the boil – whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
- Reduce the heat and cook gently – whisking all the time – until the cereal is fully cooked.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.