Many parents choose to delay introducing white potato into a baby’s diet to concentrate on more highly nutritious vegetables. White potato provides mostly starchy carbohydrate, and little in the way of vitamins or minerals. Around ten months of age is the usual choice.
White potato is good for baby (and you):
White potato is mostly calorie-laden carbohydrates – which the body does need, but not in too-great amounts. It does, however, also provide useful amounts of other nutritional elements – such as vitamins A and C, as well as some potassium, calcium and selenium.
Hints on buying and storing:
- White potatoes are on the ‘dirty dozen’ list of food products highly likely to be contaminated with pesticides, so organic is the best choice.
- Varieties are grown for specific uses – ‘good for baking’ or ‘for mashing’, for example.
- Look carefully for green areas on the skin – caused by light exposure – these can actually be poisonous.
- Check that the potatoes are not damaged, shrivelling, or sprouting.
- Store white potatoes in a cool, dry place – but not the refrigerator.
- Check often that they are not sprouting.
Tips on cooking:
- Bake white potatoes in their skins for the best flavour and nutrition retention.
- Much nutrient value is in, or just below, the skin – so by peeling and boiling this is lost.
- Wash well, cook in the skin – then scoop out the white flesh and mash.
Ideas for ways of including white potato in your baby’s meals:
- Mash with other vegetables – carrot, parsnip, peas, and courgette (zucchini,) pumpkin, green beans.
- Combine with cooked lentils.
- Add to chicken, beef or pork dishes.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.