10 – 12 months
1/2 cup of red lentils
2 cups of water or salt reduced vegetable stock
1/2 an onion
200 grams of sweet potato
1 celery stick
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
3 button mushrooms
1 small egg
2 slices of fresh wholemeal bread
3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
1. Using a small pot add in the water or stock and then add in the lentils.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the lentils are soft. Then drain liquid from the pot.
3. Peel and dice finely the onion and sweet potato.
4. Dice finely the celery, garlic and mushroom.
5. Grate the bread on a cheese grater into a separate small bowl or use a food processor.
6. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
7. In a small pan heat up the olive oil and add to the pan onion, sweet potato, celery and garlic. Cook for 4 – 6 minutes on a medium to high heat until golden brown.
8. Add to the pan the tomato puree, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the liquid has gone. Then take off the heat and allow to cool.
9. Add to the pan when it has cooled down the lentils, egg, cheese and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly.
10. Using your hands make little mini balls and place on baking paper which is on a baking tray.
11. Bake veggie balls for 30 minutes or until cooked through.