Bananas are good for baby (and you):
Bananas are said to contain many of the nutrients necessary for all-round human health and development. Importantly, they contain potassium – which contributes to healthy heart function and blood pressure levels – and fibre, which aids digestion (though eating too much banana can cause constipation.) They are also high in vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin B2.
Bananas have, however, been linked with latex allergy – so if there is a family history of latex sensitivity, discuss this with your baby’s doctor or paediatrician.
Hints on buying and storing:
- Bananas are not one of the ‘dirty dozen’ foods, so buying organic is a personal choice. Choose bananas that are fully ripe, but not over-ripe or discoloured.
- At home, store at room temperature, not in the refrigerator.
- Freeze mashed portions or whole banana and keep for up to 3 months.
Ideas for ways of including banana in your baby’s meals:
- Mix mashed banana with homemade baby cereals – rice, oatmeal, barley, mixed grain.
- Add to pureed cooked sweet potato.
- Mix with other fruit purees – peaches, pears, apple, kiwi, avocado, blueberries.
- Use in healthy cake or teething biscuit recipes.
- Stir into plain yogurt.
Remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.