6 – 8 months
1 cup pre-soaked hulled barley
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2½ cups of salt-free stock (vegetable, beef, or chicken)
1. To get 1 cup of soaked barley, put a ½ cup of dry barley into a bowl, add 1 cup of water, and leave to soak for several hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C (375F)
3. Put the soaked barley into an oven-proof dish (with a cover), then stir in the stock.
4. Put on the cover, and bake for about 1 hour, then remove from the oven and fluff up the barley with a fork and cool well, before serving.
5. If too thick, blend using a stick blender.