Two varieties of persimmon are widely available in season – Hachiya, and Fuyu.
A rather ‘exotic’- sounding tropical fruit, persimmons are full of flavour and easy to prepare. Persimmons also present low allergen risk, help the body to absorb iron, and contain much nutritional value. They are a great fruit to introduce into baby’s diet at about 10 months old.
Persimmons are good for baby (and you):
As well as helping with the absorption of iron, persimmons are a rich source of vitamin C, potassium, phosphorous and calcium – making them a wonderful aid to the immune system, and to boosting healthy heart, nerve, muscle, and bone development.
Hints on buying and storing:
- Hachiya persimmons may still be unripe when bought, and will taste bitter – place in a brown paper bag, at room temperature to ripen.
- When ripe, Hachiyas are bright orange and very soft and squashy.
- The Fuyu variety is still quite firm when ripe, and yellow/orange in colour – soft ones are past their best.
- Fuyus will keep for up to 3 weeks in a cool place, and may become a little sweeter.
Tips on cooking:
- Hachiyas are best cooked to include with other dishes – the very thin skin may be left on, so just wash and dice, steam, then puree if required.
- Fuyus may be eaten raw, or steamed then pureed.
Ideas for ways of including persimmons in your baby’s meals:
- Mix persimmon puree into homemade baby cereal such as oatmeal (porridge).
- Use persimmon puree as a dip for ‘fingers’ of cooked vegetable.
- Mix with other soft or pureed fruit – apple, banana, pear.
- Add to cooked pumpkin or sweet potato.
- Include in healthy muffin recipes.
- Combine with cooked chicken dishes.
- Stir into yogurt.
Please remember: Always consult your baby’s paediatrician or doctor about introducing new foods.
This information presented to you acts as a guide which contains researched information only and is not intended to replace advice from a qualified health professional.
More about Baby Recipes
At babyrecipes.org there is lots of very useful information that is right here on our baby recipes website. There are easy to use baby food guides, making baby food and related topics to help you feed your baby with lots of care. There is a wide range of baby food information available to you which will better inform you when it comes to the health and safety of your baby. Learn about what baby food you should introduce to your baby and at what age. Find out more about what the benefits of individual baby food and how they can be good for your baby.
There is a great range of baby recipes for you to choose from. The baby recipes are easy to find and easy to follow with step by step instructions. When cooking food for baby you only want the best naturally. Our baby recipes provides the best food baby will need, full of nutrition and well balanced. Having a baby is an all consuming experience and this baby recipes website has been put together to help parents have a great resource to refer to as a guide or when you want to cook up tasty baby food from one of our baby recipes for your baby.